Behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass. ~Alma 37:6

Behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass. ~Alma 37:6

January 16, 2012

Hey Dad,

Thanks for the email, and for sharing the message from Grandpa.

Of course, even though you know that I take a long time to think about things and write, I will try my best with the time I have.

 
In Memory of
Grant W. Weiler
1922-2012
 
Grandpa Weiler was a very special man to me. He really was/is one of the biggest parts of the pride I have for my family. Being able to grow up closely to him has been a very big influence in my life. Since I can remember we were able to go and visit Grandpa´s house almost every weekend and spend time with the family. It soon became a favorite thing to ask every Sunday afternoon, "Are we going to Grandma and Grandpa's house?"

Mostly I remember Grandma´s mashed potatoes, but I remember as a younger kid always wondering why Grandpa´s ear would make a high pitched beep noise every once in a while. As far as I was, Grandpa was always a highly respected figure Sunday afternoons, ESPECIALLY if he was taking a nap. I remember if we were watching TV, he would always put it on mute for the commercials, and I never understood because I always wanted to see... and hear the commercials.

I also know and continue to recognize Grandpa as a card shark. When I was finally admitted into the circle, he was always one to learn from.

When we pulled out the ping pong table, well I know I was never really good at ping pong. But losing to Grandpa was very humiliating and inspiring. He told me once a story of his ping pong championship days. He was really young and was in a ping pong tournament (I think it was of his Ward I can’t remember). He told me that in the championship match, he was against an adult who was like professionally good. And he told me the secret to how he won (that guy and me).

He was never one for smashing it really hard, and against this guy what he was just able to do was just barely return it each time. Nothing crazy, but constantly he was able to just barely return it. Each time, the opponent would get a little more impatient, a little more irritated. Until finally during the match his opponent got frustrated and lost his patience, hitting it too hard and losing his focus. And that is how he won.

That is how he beat me too. He sure wasn’t fast, and he could never hit it hard. But he consistently returned it until I made a mistake. That is a really valuable thing I learned from Grandpa that day. You don’t have to always hit it harder to win, that is how you lose control and make mistakes. You just have to be constant and diligent.

Some of the best Spring and Summer days I can remember in my life, I have passed in the garden of Grandpa Weiler. I learned a lot more than how to prune a bush or clean out the garden bed, (without cleaning out the flowers too). Something about diligently and patiently working with nature impacted me.

And I figured out why Grandpa told me he had always liked to work in his garden. I think it had been a secret to help him with everything from his physical health, to his work, and his marriage. A couple of hours in the garden with Grandpa each week would help any grandson become a man. And I had the privilege of taking it all for myself (and not having to share it).

The precious hours I could spend serving with him will always have a large impact on my life. I love him so much, and I guess I will have to wait until I finish a mission that’s a little bit longer to be able to give him that hug. But I can promise you that I am going to have a lot more than a beautiful garden in that mission, thanks to him.

I love you all,

Be at peace at Grandpa´s funeral and give him a tulip for me.

Love,

Elder Hardy

ps I love you

No comments: